FORT COLLINS, Colo. (KDVR) — Colorado State University is offering a free online course on vegetable gardening.
CSU said it’s waiving the fee to encourage participation in the Grow & Give program, through which volunteers raise and donate fresh fruits and vegetables for Coloradans in need.
“The project sprouted in spring 2020 in response to skyrocketing food needs among people coping with unemployment and other hardships during the COVID-19 pandemic,” CSU said in a press release. “The project is modeled on backyard victory gardens that boosted food supplies and morale during the bleak years of World War I and World War II.”
The course will teach:
- Considerations for garden planning and planting times
- Best practices for raised garden bed design
- Proper soil preparation and fertilization for your vegetable garden
- Routine garden care including mulching, irrigation, and water conservation
- Proper routine care for tomatoes
- Hints and tricks for growing other vegetables
- To identify frost protection tactics and microclimate modifications
The course is normally $40, but CSU is offering free enrollment through June 14. No prior gardening experience is required.
Register for the course here.