SAN FRANCISCO — A worker at a California lab has died while working on a vaccine for blood infections and meningitis.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating the death of the 25 year old man.
He worked in a lab at San Francisco’s Veterans Administration Hospital and became ill just hours after leaving work.
“The lab was closed and it was decontaminated,” said Dr. Harry Lampiris, with the San Francisco Veteran’s Medical Center. “Then it was investigated by a group of researchers that couldn’t find any evidence of any spills or any laboratory malfunction.”
Friends and co-workers of the unidentified man are receiving preventative treatments.
Experts say it is rare for research lab workers to be infected by the deadly germs they study.