This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER —  The 27-year old vice president of Jet Pack International was released from the University of Colorado Hospital on Saturday afternoon after a his jet pack crash a day earlier.

Nick Macomber was doing a test flight on the property of Go Fast, a Denver energy drink company in the 2600 block of West Eighth Avenue, when he lost control of the jet pack and fell Friday morning.

“The guy was bleeding, he had head wounds where he had blood gushing on his face, he was spitting out blood. It looks like he had landed on his knees and he couldn’t get up,” said Alison McCoy, who works next door at Premier Roofing and came running over moments after the accident.  “They always have protective gear, helmet the whole shebang, but nobody seemed to notice that this time.”

Macomber said by phone that he landed on his head, has a broken jaw, 27 stitches and was scalped on the right side of his head.

Troy Widgery, the CEO of Jet Pack International, said Macomber wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

“No, he should’ve been wearing a helmet, but he’s so good and again this was just a test flight,” Widgery said

Widgery said Macomber had flown a jet pack more than 400 times from China to Ireland.

In June 2014, Macomber took off in a jet pack from the top of Denver’s Four Seasons Hotel.

“I hopped in the machine. I was dumb enough to try it, smart enough to figure it out,” he said then.

Jet packs can shoot up 150 feet into the air for about 30 seconds and travel up to 80 mph.

Widgery said Macomber had just made some modifications to the jet pack and was hovering 20 feet above ground when he suddenly fell.

“It was a control issue. The thrust was on when he hit the ground,” Widgery said.

Macomber suffered burns to his arms and legs.  He also has an ankle injury, but Widgery said wounds to Macomber’s head, face and torso are mostly superficial.

The Federal Aviation Administration had investigators on the scene Friday morning investigating.