GOLDEN, Colo. — A fatal fire at a senior living complex in Golden was caused by a cigarette, investigators said Sunday.
The fire, which happened Friday at Ulysses Senior Housing at West 12th Avenue and Ulysses Street, killed one woman.
Golden Fire investigators say the fire started on the victim’s bed, when a cigarette caught the bedding on fire. The victim made her way to the bathroom, but was found deceased on the bathroom floor. The blaze was contained to the woman’s home.
The coroner will perform an autopsy this week to confirm, but it appears the cause of death was smoke inhalation. The victim was an 83-year old female and the sole resident of the home.
Firefighters say there were flames when they arrived and that she was deceased when they got there. Investigators couldn’t say Friday night if it was the fire that killed her.
No one else was hurt.
This is not a nursing home. It’s a complex where each resident or couple has their own home.
Fire at Ulysses Senior Housing. One person found dead. Investigation underway. Fire contained quickly. pic.twitter.com/hnBjxdpCRX
— Golden Fire (@GoldenCOFire) February 6, 2015