Inmate in critical condition after incident at Denver detention center


The Downtown Detention Center in Denver, Colo. (Photo:

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — A Denver inmate was in critical condition Friday, after an incident that occurred Wednesday night at the Downtown Detention Center, the Denver Sheriff’s Office and Denver Health independently confirmed.

Denver Health indicated Michael Lee Marshall, 50, was admitted to the hospital this week and was in critical condition Friday. The Denver Sheriff’s confirmed an “incident” led to Marshall’s condition but offered few details.

“At about 6:30 p.m. on November 11, deputy sheriffs responded to an incident involving Mr. Marshall in the sally port outside the pod in which he was housed,” the sheriff’s statement read. “Medical staff also responded and Mr. Marshall was later transported to Denver Health Medical Center by ambulance.”

The sheriff’s department also indicated Marshall was arrested on Nov. 7 for trespassing and disturbing the peace, and that he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him on Nov. 8.

Marshall was being held in the detention center on $100 bond.

The statement released by the sheriff’s office promised a thorough review of the incident, saying new Denver Sheriff Patrick Firman, who took over the office in October, was at the detention center following the incident and that the city’s independent monitor had also been contacted.

“Sheriff Firman gives his assurance a thorough internal review will be completed,” the statement read. “We are committed to transparency and will cooperate fully with investigations conducted by outside agencies.”

Firman assumed control of the embattled sheriff’s office after the resignation of Gary Wilson. Under Wilson’s watch, the City of Denver paid more than $9 million in legal settlements and lawyers’ fees related to several excessive-force scandals, including the case of Marvin Booker, whose family was awarded $6 million after the 56-year-old died inside the same detention center where Marshall was being held.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories