Injured hikers rescued after rock slide in Deer Creek Canyon Park

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. -- A day of fun turned into panic and worry for hikers at Deer Creek Canyon Park in Jefferson County.

A rock slide seriously injured two hikers Thursday afternoon, and it took emergency crews hours to rescue them.

A group of five men headed up to Plymouth Creek Trail for what should have been a day hike.

But a rock slide turned day into a nighttime ordeal.

They couldn't have imagined what they'd encounter when they took off on their hike.

Their journey would end in darkness, with two of them badly hurt.

They called 911 just before 2:30 p.m. says Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Deputy Lance Schul.

"They called and said they were involved in some kind of a rock slide and two of the five were injured. And they were asking for help and didn't know how to get out," says Schul.

SkyFox showed rescue crews hike up the mountain. Emergency crews from several agencies including Inter-Canyon Fire, West Metro Fire, Indian Hills Fire, Alpine Search and Rescue, Jeffco Sheriff's Office, and Flight for Life all participated in the rescue.

SkyFox zeroed in on one of the hikers who was wearing only a t-shirt.

We saw a second hiker on the ground, also in just a t-shirt.

Then, a third hiker hovered over a fourth man, who appeared hurt.

Flight for Life then knew where to go.

"They had to get up there and they have to assess injuries and formulate a plan to get them out. There's a helicopter up there right now. And what we're told is they'll take one patient out, then come back and get another patient," says Schul.

The first injured hiker was flown out about 6:30 p.m.

Schul says the two men broke some bones.

They were flown to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood. The remaining three men walked out of the area with the help of rescuers.

The terrain is so rugged it requires four-wheel drive to get near there.

The rescue operation was complete about 8:15 p.m.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories