DENVER -- The installation of a bicycle and pedestrian bridge will force the closure of Interstate 25 overnight Thursday and Monday.
Denver Public Works is constructing the Colorado Center bicycle and pedestrian bridge over I-25, with the truss and arch scheduled to be installed.
“Almost every morning I feel like a car is going to hit me when I have to cross Evans here,” bridge supporter Dan Harcourt said. Harcourt relies exclusively on his bike and public transit to get around which can present problems.
As for the delays, Patricia Marshall, a walker who frequents the bridge says, “Us pedestrians really appreciate it, so just be patient. It’s for a good cause.”
Interstate 25 will be closed in both directions between Colorado Boulevard and Evans Avenue, with the following schedule Thursday and Monday:
- Lane closures at 8 p.m.
- Full closure of northbound traffic at 10 p.m.
- Full closure of southbound traffic at 11 p.m.
- Reopening in both directions at 5:30 a.m.
Alternate routes include using Interstates 225 and 70, U.S. 285, C470 and E470.
The recommended detours are:
- Southbound traffic will exit at Colorado Boulevard then travel south to Evans Avenue and reconnect with I-25.
- Northbound traffic will exit at Evans and travel west to Colorado and reconnect with I-25.
The Evans Avenue exit ramp at southbound I-25 and the right lane of southbound I-25 between Colorado and Evans is scheduled to be closed from 8 p.m. Friday to 5:30 a.m. Saturday.