Home explosion sends Aurora firefighters to hospital

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

AURORA, Colo. -- Three Aurora firefighters were injured when a rare and extremely dangerous explosion known as a "backdraft" occurred while they were fighting a house fire.

"The fire in the fireplace escaped through the flue into the attic," says Aurora Fire spokesman Allen Robnett. "As the firefighters entered the attic, a back draft, which is one of the most dangerous situations they could encounter, occurred."

The force of the explosion caused the walls of the house to bulge and the roof to lift.

The injured firefighters were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Investigators speculate the fire started as a result of a defect in the flue of the fireplace, and they stress the importance of have a professional inspect your fireplace before using it.

The fire destroyed the home.

The American Red Cross Mile High Chapter is assisting the family.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories