South Carolina coroner: Teen died from ‘caffeine-induced’ cardiac event

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A high school student in South Carolina died after drinking a Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink within two hours, the Richland County Coroner’s Office said.

Davis Allen Cripe, 16, collapsed during class at Spring Hills High School on April 26 and died in the emergency room at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital, WISTV reported.

In a news conference Monday, Coroner Gary Watts said Cripes died because of a “caffeine-induced cardiac event,” according to FOX19.

“We lost Davis from a totally legal substance,” FOX19 quoted Watts as saying. “It was so much caffeine at the time of his death, that it caused his arrhythmia.”

Cripes’ parents attended the news conference. His father made a tearful plea to parents to talk to their teens about the dangers of highly caffeinated energy drinks.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories