Greyhound passengers stuck in mountains, delayed 24 hours

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FRISCO, Colo. — A bus full of passengers will be a day late after a series of delays in Colorado’s mountains.

Greyhound bus schedule No. 1675 left Denver around 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

The route, which started in New York, is supposed to make stops in Denver, Idaho Springs, Frisco, Vail, Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction before continuing on to its final destination in Las Vegas.

But about two hours into the trip, the bus encountered a snowstorm west of Georgetown.

A Greyhound spokeswoman confirms the driver was instructed to return to Denver, but experienced a brake failure in Georgetown while heading east.

“We were going 5 miles an hour going downhill because she was going to take us back to Denver and she burnt the brakes out,” passenger Nikki Powell said.

The passengers waited in the bus for about four hours at a gas station in Georgetown. A replacement bus picked them up around 11 a.m. Sunday.

The second driver stopped in Frisco, just on the other side of the Eisenhower Tunnel, because the windows were fogging up. The bus also experienced a mechanical issue and would not restart.

The passengers were instructed to wait inside a one-room bus station for a new bus.

“There’s no food. People have to walk to the nearest store to get food. Everyone’s been living on junk food for the last 13 hours,” passenger Annetta Brown said.

While the passengers waited in Frisco, a third bus showed up. However, the driver said there was only room for five passengers.

A mother and her four children were allowed to claim the seats. A few minutes later, they were quickly escorted off the bus. The woman said there were only three seats.

Sixteen hours after leaving Denver, at least three passengers called it quits on the trip.

“I was in Longmont because my mom called me. She lives down in Broomfield and she says come get me,” Jim Starr said.

Starr’s mother was headed to Las Vegas for a bingo tournament. After the long delay, she decided to return home.

“By the time they’d make it out there they’d miss part of the bingo. They’d miss nights in their hotel. So why even go?” Starr said.

He also gave a ride to two strangers his mother met on the bus, Aliyah Johnson, a single mother and her infant daughter. The pair live in Colorado Springs and were headed for Bakersfield, Calif.

“It’s crazy. I’m just glad to be going home,” Johnson said.

Around 6:45 p.m., a fourth bus arrived at the bus station in Frisco. The remaining passengers were transported back to Denver.

A Greyhound spokeswoman confirmed all of the passengers will receive a full refund for their tickets. They will also be provided a hotel room for the night in Denver.

Passengers can also either choose to take the 12:30 a.m. bus leaving Denver or wait for another bus on Monday morning.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories