Greenwood Village Police: Suspect in long standoff tried to kill officers

Home destroyed in Greenwood Village standoff

Home destroyed in Greenwood Village standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. — Police called a news conference to update what happened inside a Greenwood Village home where a 19 hour-long standoff took place last week. We have a clearer picture of what happened when an armed suspect on the run from police barged into the house near I-225 and Yosemite.

Police made it clear Monday night this was much more than a search for a shoplifiting suspect.

The home was destroyed during the course of the standoff. FOX31 Denver Problem Solvers wanted to know who would pay for it.

Police addressed that and revealed new details about the suspect, 33-year-old Robert Seacat.

Greenwood Village police stressed Monday night that the tactics used on the suspect and the home he was holed up in was not because of simple shoplifting. They say this suspect tried to murder several police officers and the goal in this situation was to get everyone out alive.

Damage to property was their last concern.

In the video above you can see the huge police and swat team presence that night. This — police say — after the suspect tried to run over one police officer in the parking lot of a nearby Wal-Mart.

They say he then fired at officers while attempting to steal a car in the garage of the home he broke into.

Police say for more than six hours — they tried to negotiate with Seacat to surrender. When that failed, they opened up the front window — throwing gas in the home.

A team was then sent in — and police say Seacat fired several rounds through walls and floors at the team of officers. Police again backed out.

It was 17 hours into the standoff when police say the SWAT team’s “Bearcat” vehicle opened up the back of the home to get a better vantage point. They sent in another volley of gas.

An hour later is when Seacat was finally disarmed, surrendered and was arrested.

Police say the tactical response in this case was textbook and they wouldn`t do it any differently.

They say much of what they did to get him out of the house didn’t work because they believe he was extremely intoxicated, even doing meth throughout the standoff.

Investigators said he had more than 300 grams of meth on him when they arrested him.

They also said Seacat made it clear he was willing to commit murder and did not want to be taken alive.

They reiterated that while the house was virtually destroyed, their first priority was the safety of everyone involved.

The Greenwood Village city manager said they are in talks with the homeowner to pay for damages to the house. They are also working with the family who was renting the home to find temporary and permanent housing.

Additionally, the city says it is paying the deductible on insurance for neighbors whose homes and vehicles were also damaged during the standoff.

Seacat faces multiple attempted murder charges. They’re expected to be filed Tuesday.





Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories