Friends of cyclist killed by alleged hit-and-run DUI driver fill courtroom


Friends of Bill Davis fill courtroom

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

BOULDER, Colo. -- Friends of Bill Davis, a cyclist hit and killed by a suspected DUI driver, filled the Boulder County Jail courtroom Monday where the defendant made her first appearance before a judge.

Davis was riding his bike near Jay Road and 30th Street in Boulder around 5:15 p.m. Saturday when the Colorado State Patrol said 24-year old Callie Kuhasz crashed into him before fleeing the scene.

As Kuhasz was led into the courtroom, she was greeted by rows of staring eyes.

The gallery was filled with people who say they loved, respected and looked up to Davis.  Their looks of anger and hurt did not seem to be lost on Kuhasz, who looked disheveled, dropped her head and at one point mouthed, “I’m sorry.”

Erin Carson, owner of Rally Sport, the cycling team Davis rode for, said it was, “Horrifying.  I've just never felt a feeling like that in my heart before and I just kind of want it to go away."

“I don’t want to think about her, I want to focus on Bill and his beautiful family. They are who we should be thinking about, not the person who took him away from them,” said Adam Hecht, a friend and co-worker.

Facing vehicular homicide while driving under the influence, hit-and-run and DUI charges in the death of the 35-year-old cyclist and Google employee, Kuhasz’s attorney asked the judge for a lower bond, saying she’s having a difficult time in jail.

It’s a statement that didn’t sit well with the people who came to the courtroom to support Davis and his family.  Loud gasps and “No’s” were yelled before Boulder County Judge Karolyn Moore sternly told everyone to be quiet.

“Who can say what somebody who has the love of their life and their father ripped away, who knows what she needs.  She needs her husband back,” Hecht said.

Boulder Deputy District Attorney Laura Kinde said six weeks ago, Kuhasz was sentenced for a DUI she received in March and is currently on probation.  She also mentioned a past DUI charge in Texas as well as a history of reckless driving.

“She consciously made a decision to do what she did, knowing, on four different occasions that it was wrong,” Carson said.

Moore was also told police found a 30-pack of beer in Kuhasz’s car and only five were unopened. Moore was told that a witness found Kuhasz in her damaged car hysterically laughing after fleeing the scene of the deadly crash.

“This is also about taking responsibility for who you are and the decisions you make,”  Carson said.

Friends said they just want to remember their dear friend. They set up a GoFundMe page for contributions.

“He meant so much to all of us,” Hecht said.

Moore set bond at $200,000. Kuhasz’s attorney said her parents drove to Colorado from Texas to be at the hearing, and told the judge if she is able to bond out, they will be staying with her for support.

If that happens, she will be required to wear an electronic alcohol monitoring device and will not be allowed to use alcohol or drugs.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories