This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINTER PARK, Colo. — A man installing carpet was airlifted to a hospital after a gas leak and explosion at a home in Winter Park on Thursday, the Fraser Winter Park Police Department said.

The 56-year-old man suffered critical injuries and was flown to the Burn Center at University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora. He suffered upper-body burns and other injuries, police said. He is expected to survive.

The explosion happened about 3:15 on Fir Drive, near the Winter Park Resort. A few neighboring homes had to be evacuated, police said.

Investigators said three people were installing new carpet in the home. When one of the workers plugged in a carpet iron, the explosion occurred, police said.

The three workers were thrown off their feet, including the man who was critically injured. The other two workers were treated at the scene.

Xcel Energy workers were in the vicinity at the time of the explosion, police said. The workers were inspecting service lines at the time, an Xcel Energy spokesman said.

Police said no gas readings were found in the home earlier in the day and the Xcel crew was investigating potentially higher readings across the street.

The home suffered extensive damage and was ruled uninhabitable.



[protected-iframe id=”9402906edc04a7d59217edc321183659-29290497-62452405″ info=”!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d41182.255630104395!2d-105.78665659059729!3d39.89910705210079!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x876bcab8e3b9dd3b%3A0x2eb911152f7a2d3b!2s95+Fir+Dr%2C+Winter+Park%2C+CO+80482!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1472815584675″ width=”100%” height=”450″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:0″ allowfullscreen=””]