Expecting family loses all possessions in apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WESTMINSTER, Colo. -- Two people died and 10 others were taken to a hospital after a fire ripped through an apartment building in Westminster early Sunday morning.

Dozens more were forced out of their homes by the fast-moving flames.

The investigation into the fire is still in the early stages. Authorities want to speak with four people, believed to be juveniles, who witnesses say used fire extinguishers to try to put out the fire. Police don't believe the four started the fire.

Like many of the tenants living at the Westbury Apartments off of 115th Avenue, the Davis family was sleeping when the fire broke out just after 2 a.m.

The husband, who is hearing impaired, smelled smoke and got his wife out just as the building went up in flames.

“I woke up and all I heard was screaming. Kids screaming,” Karah Davis said.

Karah Davis is seven months pregnant. On Monday afternoon, she stood in silence, taking in the devastation. The place she called home is now a charred frame.

“They were saying get out. We have to get out. Evacuate now,” Davis said.

She and her husband jolted out of bed. They grabbed clothes to cover their faces and raced into the smoke-filled stairwell.

“We just ran. Blindly. We didn’t know if we were going to make it. That’s the scariest thing,” Davis said.

The Davises left behind a home full of memories, including their wedding rings and the gifts and clothes from their recent baby shower.

“We lost everything. We don’t have anything. All of our baby stuff is gone and it’s really heartbreaking,” Davis said.

The Davis family didn’t have renter’s insurance. But amid this tragedy, Karah’s co-workers are stepping in. They’ve started a donation bin at the hair salon where she works and a GoFundMe page.

“She’s always doing something for other people and thinking about other people,” Madison Hood said. “I have to help her. I could not imagine half of what she is going through right now.”

The fire consumed the largest building on the lot with 69 apartment units. Davis says although she might have lost all her material possessions, she is thankful they made it out alive.

“I can’t replace my husband and I can’t replace my son so we will build our life back up. We know that eventually we will be okay,” Davis said.

Hood is also collecting donations for the Davis family at the Centre Salon and Spa in Westminster. Donations can be sent to:

10449 Town Center Drive #100
Westminster, CO 80021

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories