MORRISON, Colo. (KDVR) — Bandimere Speedway became home to hundreds of races and welcomed thousands of fans over its 65 years in business, and there are only a couple of months left of events at its original location.
The speedway is closing down at the end of the drag racing season. The Bandimere family said earlier this summer that it will take at least one year off of racing and has plans to relocate and create an upgraded track, but no official plans have been released to the public.
Luckily, the speedway has a busy schedule of events planned for its last two months in Morrison so fans have the opportunity to get the Bandimere Speedway experience.
Here are some highlighted events and the remaining schedule for the iconic speedway.
Experience Thunder Mountain from behind the wheel
On Aug. 31, fans 18 years and older are invited to get behind the wheel to drive fast in a friendly competition at the Wide Open Challenge Race. Tickets are $215 before tax, but it includes a thorough racing experience.
Racers will get a tour of the control room, training and two time-trial runs before competing in single elimination races, according to the website. Winners keep racing until a winner is presented with a trophy. Participants will also get souvenirs, two tickets for an upcoming event, photo opportunities and more.
65th Anniversary bracket racing
On Monday, Sept. 4, the speedway is encouraging everyone to wear their oldest Bandimere Speedway T-shirt to celebrate its 65th anniversary.
The person with the oldest T-shirt will win an anniversary prize pack, according to the website. Tickets for this race are $20 for adults, and children 12 years and under get in free.
Jr. Drag Racing
Junior dragster drivers can participate in racecar test days and nights, but there are two events left in the Jr. Drag Racing Series for kids 5-17 to compete in. The winner, runner-up and semifinalists will be awarded with a trophy.
‘Street Outlaws: No Prep Kings’
“No Prep Kings” is a “Street Outlaws” series on the Discovery Channel. In the show, racers travel to different raceways around the country competing on tracks without any preparation. They earn points by winning races and at the end of the season, the racer with the most points is crowned the true No Prep King, according to the website.
The racing series comes to Bandimere Speedway on Sept. 8-9. Adult general admission tickets start at $30 for Friday presale and $40 for Saturday presale. Prices increase $10 at the gate. Kids tickets start at $5. There are other ticketing options, like VIP and super fan seats.
On Saturday, Oct. 21, there will be more bracket racing, but with a Halloween theme. Plus, racers will decorate their pit areas and bring treats for kids to trick-or-treat at pits during the event.
There will be awards for the best costumes and the best-decorated pits, along with prizes for several other competitions. Additionally, two lucky sweepstakes ticket holders will be chosen for a winner-takes-all all race, and the winner will be awarded $400.
Adult general admission tickets start at $20, and children 12 years and under get in free.
Other events at Bandimere
- Aug. 30: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Aug. 31: Wide Open Challenge
- Sept. 1-3: Mike’s Hard Lemonade High-Altitude Bracketnationals
- Sept. 6: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Sept. 8-9: “Street Outlaws: No Prep Kings” LIVE
- Sept. 13: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Sept. 15: Street Chaos Rockstar Energy Roll Racing
- Sept. 16: U.S. Air Force Jr. Drag Racing Series
- Sept. 20: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Sept. 22: Club Clash presented by Corvette Connection
- Sept. 23: Dream Fest
- Sept. 24: U.S. Air Force Jr. Drag Racing Series/Vintage Drag Racing Association
- Sept. 27: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Sept. 30: Madcap Racing Engines Fast 16/Get Biofuel Quick 16/Fineline Series/MagnaFuel Super Series/Sunoco King Street Series/RMSS Stick Shift Series
- Oct. 1: MSU Denver Top Performer (E.T.)/Sunoco King Street Series/JR Race Car Titan 16/Vintage Drag Racing Association
- Oct. 4: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Oct. 5: Rocky Mountain Race Week 2.0
- Oct. 6: Club Clash presented by Corvette Connection
- Oct. 7: eBay Motors Fall Racing Series
- Oct. 8: eBay Motors Fall Racing Series
- Oct. 11: CSP “Take it to the Track” Test Night
- Oct. 14: eBay Motors Fall Racing Series
- Oct. 15: eBay Motors Fall Racing Series
- Oct. 21: Halloween Spooktrackular
- Oct. 22: Last Blast Test & Tune (weather permitting)
The Bandimere family has not yet released any official plans for what the future of Bandimere Speedway holds, but they have said they are looking at some plots of land for an upgraded raceway.
Wherever the raceway goes, the family said the memories and pieces that have added to the fabric that is Bandimere Speedway are irreplaceable.