This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

  • A firefighter works to provide oxygen to a dog rescued from an Englewood fire on July 29, 2013. (Photo: Englewood Fire)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — After working to extinguish a fire that broke out in an Englewood duplex Monday morning, firefighters went to work trying to save the life of one of the home’s most helpless inhabitants — a small dog.

The blaze started in a kitchen in a duplex on Adriatic Place early Monday morning. Five people were evacuated, none of whom sustained injuries.

The dog, however, appeared to weigh no more than 10 pounds and was suffering from smoke inhalation. After retrieving it from the house, crews quickly put the animal on oxygen therapy and transported it to a local vet.

As of Tuesday morning, an Englewood Fire spokesperson confirmed the dog was doing just fine.