DENVER — An increase in street robberies has prompted the Denver Police Department to warn citizens in the northeast part of the city to be more vigilant.
Four robberies were reported on Jan. 12, police said. Three were in the Green Valley Ranch neighborhood and one was in the Montbello neighborhood.
LINK: Denver Police Crime Map
A fifth robbery happened on Jan. 13 in Stapleton, police said.
Detectives in District Five are investigating the crimes. Police said the vehicles and suspects in each vary.
“Due to this rash of robberies, DPD asks the public to be aware as they move about the city,” police said in a statement.
DPD also offered the following tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and when possible, walk with a group or friend.
- Only carry what you need close to your body or in a front pocket, and don’t bring more than needed for the outing.
- Be discreet with valuables.
- Park and walk in well lit areas.
- If you feel that you may be in a dangerous situation while walking, switch directions or cross the street and look for an open business or a nearby home for assistance.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.