Video: Golden bar employee attacked after asking customer to wear a mask


GOLDEN, Colo. (KDVR) – A worker at a speakeasy in Golden was allegedly attacked after asking a customer to wear a mask.

Stephen Gould, the owner of Golden Moon Speakeasy, shared video with FOX31 that shows an unmasked man pushing the employee in the doorway to the establishment.

Gould said the attack happened Saturday night after the victim asked the man to follow the state’s requirement and wear a mask.

“These types of incidents are becoming frighteningly common in all types of businesses, not just here in the Denver area but around the world,” Gould said.

Police charged the alleged attacker, identified as 62-year-old John Roche, with trespassing and harassment. But according to Gould, police did not cite Roche for violating the city’s mask ordinance.

“I’d like to think here in our community we can put appropriate repercussions in place to make people think twice before doing this sort of thing. I’d like to think we can do so before someone is seriously injured or killed,” Gould said.

According to Cpt. Joe Harvey with the Golden Police Department, Roche had asked the employee if he could sit at an open table. The employee said Roche was welcome to sit at the table, but he would have to wear a mask when not at the table.

Harvey said Roche then walked to the table and said, “See, I’m at my table.”

The worker then reportedly called Roche a “dick.”

Roche then got up from the table. Video appears to show him shoving the worker to the ground. The man hit the door jamb while falling, damaging it.

The victim told police he initially did not want to press charges but changed his mind due to Gould’s encouragement.

Harvey said Roche was charged with trespassing because GPD officers believe that while he left the property shortly after the incident, he did not leave immediately.

Roche was charged with harassment because “it was clear based on the person’s body language and stuff that he was intending to harass, annoy or alarm this victim,” Harvey said.

Each count carries a maximum fine of $2,650 and 180 days in jail, Harvey said.

Gould said the whole incident didn’t have to happen.

“If he didn’t want to wear a mask, he’s more than welcome to go somewhere else,” he said before adding, “This is an adult, mature man, acting like a high school kid over being asked to wear a mask. It’s ridiculous, it’s juvenile, and for him to walk in and attack somebody, the guy needs to go to jail.”

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories