2 children die from mysterious illness associated with COVID-19 in Colorado, 7 total cases

Coronavirus

Boys wear face masks against the spread of the new coronavirus as he watches a baseball match in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, on July 22, 2020. – Dominican Republic’s National Public Health Service has so far reported 56,043 infections from COVID-19 and 1,005 deaths. (Photo by Erika SANTELICES / AFP) (Photo by ERIKA SANTELICES/afp/AFP via Getty Images)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER (KDVR) — The Colorado Department of Health and Environment says two children have died of MIS-C, according to the Centers For Diseases Control.

The ages and genders of the children who have died have not yet been released. CDPHE also said that Colorado has 7 total cases of MIS-C.

Mysterious childhood illness associated with COVID-19 being investigated in Colorado

According to the CDC website, since mid-May 2020, they have been tracking reports of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), a rare but serious condition associated with COVID-19. MIS-C is a new syndrome, and many questions remain about why some children develop it after a COVID-19 illness or contact with someone with COVID-19, while others do not.

As of 7/15/2020, CDC has received reports of 342 cases and 6 deaths in 37 jurisdictions.

  • Most cases are in children between the ages of 1 and 14 years, with an average age of 8 years.
  • Cases have occurred in children from <1 year old to 20 years old.
  • About 70% of reported cases have occurred in children who are Hispanic/Latino (120 cases) or Non-Hispanic Black (104 cases).
  • 96% of cases (329) tested positive for SARS CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The remaining 4% were around someone with COVID-19.
  • Most children developed MIS-C 2-4 weeks after infection with SARS-CoV-2.
  • Slightly more than half (55%) of reported cases were male.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories