DENVER (KDVR) — “Their voices may now be silent . . . those who may know the truth are not,” the Colorado Bureau of Investigation shared as a part of its mission as it works to assist in bringing justice to cold case tragedies.
There are hundreds of unsolved homicide cases, long-term missing person cases, and unidentified remains cases in our state where at least three years have passed since the crime happened.
The Colorado cold case task force created a list of those cases dating back to 1970. The Problem Solvers are working to highlight cold cases in our state each week.
1999 triple murder
The CBI, Westminster Police Department, and Thornton Police Department are working to solve a triple murder that happened 24 years ago.
Detectives started looking into the suspicious disappearance of Sarah Skiba, 9, her father Paul Skiba, and Lorenzo Chivers in February of 1999.
Chivers was an employee of Paul’s moving company and storage facility, which was located near Raleigh Street and 70th Avenue in Westminster.
Investigators said they found physical evidence at the moving and storage facility, as well as in or on two moving trucks owned by the business.
There was also blood found at the facility, which was identified with DNA to be from both Paul and Sarah.
Timeline of the investigation
During the investigation, detectives said forensic evidence indicated Sarah, Paul, and Chivers were likely murdered near 72nd Avenue and Raleigh Street in Westminster on Feb. 7, 1999.
The CBI said that on Feb. 17, a vehicle that belonged to Chivers was located several blocks away from the moving and storage facility at an apartment complex parking lot near 68th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard in Westminster.
Then, 10 days later on Feb. 27, a vehicle that belonged to Paul was located at an apartment complex near Arkansas Avenue and Federal Boulevard in Denver.
No suspect information has been released.
To this day, the case remains unsolved and the bodies of Sarah, Paul and Chivers have never been found.
If you have any information that might bring closure and justice to this investigation, please reach out to the Westminster Police Department at 303-658-4360.
Highlighting cold cases in Colorado
Here are some of the other cases we’ve highlighted:
- Cold case: Who murdered this young mom in 1985?
- Cold case: What happened to this woman who disappeared in 1990?
- Cold case: Who killed this 10-year-old boy in 1991?
- Cold case: Who murdered Stephanie Bauman 42 years ago?
- Cold case: Who murdered Jennifer Larsen 27 years ago?
- Cold case: Who shot David Williams to death in 2005?
- Cold case: Who murdered Maggie Long 1,651 days ago?
- Cold case: What happened to Elizabeth Miller 40 years ago?
- Cold case: Who kidnapped Christopher Abeyta 35 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed JonBenét Ramsey 25 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed Jessica Bejarano 15 years ago
- Cold case: Where is Terri Ackerman?
- Cold case: Who killed Richard Elliott at a grocery store 23 years ago?
- ‘Don’t ever give up hope’: Cold case: Who killed Edward Steinbach?
- Cold Case: Who killed Denise Davenport 37 years ago?
- Cold case: Who murdered James O’Neal Johnson 23 years ago?
- Cold case: Where is Jennifer Lynn Marcum?
- Cold case: Who murdered Daniel Lell in Aurora in 2013?
- Missing: Highlighting the search for people missing in Colorado
- 18 people remain unidentified in Denver since 1970
If you ever have a cold case you would like us to feature, please fill out this form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org-
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System shows there are over 20,000 open missing persons cases in the United States and over 300 in Colorado.