DENVER (KDVR) — There are hundreds of unsolved homicide cases, long-term missing person cases, and unidentified remains cases in Colorado where at least three years have passed since the crime happened.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is working to solve the cold case murder of Jakeob McKnight from 1991.
The Lakewood Police Department said the 10-year-old boy was playing with his older brother and friends at Bear Creek Greenbelt.
“The boys often enjoyed their time in this area fishing, swimming, and engaging in a variety of activities,” LPD said in 2020.
On their way home, McKnight was separated from the group and never made it home.
McKnight was found stabbed to death at Bear Creek Greenbelt in Lakewood on July 21, 1991.
To this day, his case remains unsolved.
“When this happened, it completely rocked the community and the whole metro area that something this awful could happen. A lot of the law enforcement officers who were there at the time are still there, it still haunts them. It still haunts members of the community,” said Sarah Johnston with Metro Denver Crime Stoppers.
In 2019, the Metro Denver Crime Stoppers announced that an anonymous donor added money to bring the reward fund up to $5,000.
If you know anything or saw anything that day, please contact the Crime Stoppers by calling 720-913-7867.
Highlighting cold cases in Colorado
Here are some of the other cases we’ve highlighted:
- Cold case: Who murdered Stephanie Bauman 42 years ago?
- Cold case: Who murdered Jennifer Larsen 27 years ago?
- Cold case: Who shot David Williams to death in 2005?
- Cold case: Who murdered Maggie Long 1,651 days ago?
- Cold case: What happened to Elizabeth Miller 40 years ago?
- Cold case: Who kidnapped Christopher Abeyta 35 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed JonBenét Ramsey 25 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed Jessica Bejarano 15 years ago
- Cold case: Where is Terri Ackerman?
- Cold case: Who killed Richard Elliott at a grocery store 23 years ago?
- ‘Don’t ever give up hope’: Cold case: Who killed Edward Steinbach?
- Cold Case: Who killed Denise Davenport 37 years ago?
- Cold case: Who murdered James O’Neal Johnson 23 years ago?
- Cold case: Where is Jennifer Lynn Marcum?
- Cold case: Who murdered Daniel Lell in Aurora in 2013?
- Missing: Highlighting the search for people missing in Colorado
- 18 people remain unidentified in Denver since 1970
If you ever have a cold case you would like us to feature, please fill out this form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org-
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System shows there are currently 21,556 open missing persons cases in the United States and over 300 in Colorado.