Jury reaches verdict in trial of woman accused of cutting baby from womb


Dynel Lane

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

BOULDER, Colo. -- Jurors reached a verdict Tuesday in the trial of Dynel Lane, the Longmont woman accused of attacking another woman and cutting the unborn baby from her womb.

The prosecution and defense gave closing arguments before Judge Maria Berkotter handed the case to the 12 jurors late Monday morning.  Jurors went home without a verdict around 5 p.m. Monday. Just before 10 a.m., an announcement was made that a verdict had been reached. It's expected to be read at 10:30 a.m.

Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett implored the jury to return a guilty verdict of first-degree attempted murder, saying "It's about justice."

The defense argued Lane should be accountable for reckless manslaughter and not attempted murder because she acted "hasty, impulsive and reckless, but not due to deliberation."

It has been a quick but very emotional trial at the Boulder County Justice Center.

Lane has pleaded not guilty to six felony counts, including attempted first-degree murder and unlawful termination of a pregnancy, for the March 18, 2015 attack that left Michelle Wilkins' unborn daughter Aurora dead. Wilkins went to Lane's home after responding to a Craigslist ad for baby clothes.

Wilkins recounted the attack in testimony on Wednesday. On Thursday, the jury heard from doctors and police as physical and forensic evidence was presented.

Before resting Friday, the prosecution played a taped interview as Lane was questioned by detectives from the Longmont Police Department. Lane told investigators that it was Wilkins who had a knife and tried to stab her.

Lane has showed little emotion during the trial, which began Wednesday. But when prosecutors played the recording, she cried.

Berkotter asked if Lane wanted to testify, but she said she did not want to take the stand. The defense rested without calling any witnesses.

Defense attorneys have argued the attack was made impulsively and that it wasn't planned. Lane could be sentenced to 140 years in prison if she is convicted on all counts. She remains jailed on a $2 million bond.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories