DENVER (KDVR) — Gov. Jared Polis announced Monday that camping can resume at some Colorado campgrounds, with proper social distancing measures in place. Polis asks that campers retrieve any necessary items (gas, food, etc.) they need to camp in the areas in which they live to limit exposure to other counties and areas.
After spending a lot of time at home due to the stay-at-home order, many people are looking forward to going camping.
What do you need if you plan on taking advantage of camping in Colorado?
Here is a list to help you prepare:
- Reserve your campsite
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad for under your sleeping bag
- First aid kit
- Flashlight/head lamp
- Compass or GPS
- A bag to store your food in away from your campsite (to keep the bears out)
- Extra clothes/jacket in case of rain/snow
- Camp stove and cookware
- Trash bags
- Firewood (as long as there is not a fire ban in place)
- Tools to chop wood, stake your tent to the ground
- Here is a full list from experts at REI