JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. — The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office said Sunday there has been a spike in the number of burglaries recently.
The sheriff’s office asked residents to keep your garage doors closed and locked. Don’t leave garage remotes in cars and lock the door between garages and the house.
Additionally, consider these environmental deterrents to burglary:
- Trim all trees up from the ground by 5 to 6 feet.
- Trim bushes and shrubs down below all windows.
- Install motion detection lighting on all sides of your home.
- Use a “Charlie Bar” to secure rear sliding glass door.
- Secure gates leading to your back yard.
- Remove any home or vehicle keys from the garage.
- Close blinds and/or shades.
- Replace short door strike plate screws with longer ones.
- Put lights in the home on timers.