Westminster apartment explosion traced to gas line

News
A boiler in a Westminster apartment building blew up Sunday, injuring multiple people and displacing about 80.

A boiler in a Westminster apartment building blew up Sunday, injuring multiple people and displacing about 80.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

  • A boiler in a Westminster apartment building blew up Sunday, injuring multiple people and displacing about 80.
  • A boiler in a Westminster apartment building blew up Sunday, injuring multiple people and displacing about 80.

DENVER — An explosion in a Westminster apartment building Sunday morning that injured multiple people stemmed from a gas line, Westminster fire officials said Monday.

The explosion at the Lakeview apartments near 3761 W. 68th Ave. injured six people, with three going to the hospital and one person in critical condition, responders said. His condition has since been upgraded.

A man at the scene said his brother was the person in critical condition. Tinkham Mounkeothlakem, 49, was in the laundry room about 10 a.m. As he pressed a button on the dryer, an explosion burned his hair, face and hands, the man said.

Firefighters confirmed that Mounkeothlakem was still in the hospital Monday. He was upgraded to serious condition and moved to University Hospital for burn treatment.

Of the 80 people who live in the building, 21 remain barred from returning home. The building is sound, firefighters said Monday, but gas and power have not been restored yet and windows are still blown out. Red Cross was assisting displaced residents.

Data pix.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories