9 injured in explosion of illegal fireworks seized from South L.A. home

News

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A cache of illegal fireworks seized at a South Los Angeles home exploded Wednesday evening, damaging nearby homes and cars and injuring at least nine people, authorities said.

Police had called in a bomb squad after a tip led them to seize some 5,000 pounds (2,268 kilograms) of illegal home-made and China-manufactured pyrotechnics at about noon, police said.

One man was arrested on suspicion of possessing fireworks and destructive devices and also on suspicion of child endangerment because two children were found at the home, police said.

KTLA’s Sky5 was over the scene as the explosion happened Wednesday.

Some of the fireworks appeared to be large mortar-sized devices used for commercial purposes.

Pallet-loads of fireworks were placed into an LAPD tractor-trailer and hauled away for disposal but at some point, some of the devices that had been placed inside an armored container on an LAPD big-rig exploded in a burst of flame, demolishing the truck. The blast, caught by news crews, also knocked a nearby car on its side, smashed the windows of several others and blew out windows in a neighboring home.

“Some of the fireworks were being stored in our Bomb Squad trailer as a precautionary measure” when there was an explosion, an LAPD tweet said, adding that it was unknown what sparked the blast.

A Fire Department tweet said nine patients were being evaluated but there was no immediate word on their conditions. Some were seen being taken away on gurneys.

Nobody appeared to be inside the truck.

Police evacuated nearby homes.

In March, a massive fireworks explosion left two people dead in Southern California and caused at least $3.2 million in damage.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trademark and Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories