This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — Police have arrested a man accused of assaulting two random teenagers and then beating a 62-year-old man to death in the middle of the street.

The attacks happened near Curtis and 25th streets at about 4 a.m. Friday, according to the Denver Police Department.

When officers arrived, they found two teens who had been attacked in what appeared to be a random incident. One of the victims had significant facial injuries, according to the probable cause statement.

RELATED: Probable cause statement

A witness told officers the attacker had run to the 2400 block of Curtis Street after the assault.

The officers said they saw a person lying in the middle of the street and a man was “continually striking the victim in the chest with force.”

The suspect was later identified as 28-year-old Dejuan Stamps. The officers said Stamps “rushed” them when they challenged him. featured image

One officer was injured in a struggle, but police were able to subdue Stamps, according to the probable cause statement.

The victim, later identified as 62-year-old James Farmer Jr., died at the scene. An autopsy confirmed he died from blunt force injuries.

Farmer’s son said his father came to Denver from Seattle for a job.  James Lee Miller said room and board had filled up or his allotted expenses for it ran out.

featured image
Black Saab owned by James Farmer Jr.

Miller said his father was staying in a shelter and his black Saab so he could save money from the job because he was going to move back to Seattle in September to buy a condominium with his fiancee.

Witnesses said he heard the commotion and got out to help, but ended up becoming a victim.

Officials at the Saint Francis Center knew Farmer and described him as “a good man.”

“People who know what’s right, do what’s right. And he was one of those people who did it. He stepped up to help. And unfortunately, it cost him his life. But he was a good man,” a shelter official said.

Stamps was also homeless but had been banned by the homeless shelter last month, officials said.

After the attacks, Stamps was transported to a hospital for evaluation and was placed on an investigative hold for first-degree murder.