DENVER — Three western Colorado teens were airlifted to a Denver area hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide over a weekend camping trip. One of them is now dead and another remains in critical condition, according to a report.
KJCT is reporting that the teens were exposed on Sunday near Delta, when they inhaled carbon monoxide from a faulty trailer camper. All were flown to St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver shortly after being exposed.
All three teens attended Cedaredge High School. Reid Gates, a star football player at the school, died from the exposure. Friend and teammate Aaron Henrie remains in critical condition. Tyler Cooper, another friend and teammate, has been updated to good condition.
Gates helped lead Cedaredge’s football team to an unexpected 1A state championship a year ago, serving as the team’s second-leading rusher. He scored a touchdown in the team’s 18-16 state title win over Buena Vista.
Gates was also a standout on the school’s basketball and track teams, averaging 13.3 points on the hardwood and advancing to the state track meet as a long and high jumper.