Careless smoking may have started deadly fire in Longmont, investigators say

Credit: Longmont Fire

LONGMONT, Colo. — Careless smoking near combustibles likely started a fire that killed one person Friday morning in a mobile home in Longmont.

Authorities say one person is dead after a fire at a mobile home in northern Colorado.

Longmont Fire Department spokeswoman Molly Cropp  said smoke detectors were present in the home, but it’s unknown if they were functional.

She said neighbors reported the blaze Friday morning, and firefighters encountered heavy smoke and intense heat.

They were able to control the fire in about 20 minutes, and the victim was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. No one else was in the home at the time.

The victim’s name has not been released.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.