Game Day Review: Broncos come up short against Chiefs, 30-23

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, MO - OCTOBER 28: Quarterback Case Keenum #4 of the Denver Broncos passes during the game against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium on October 28, 2018 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by David Eulitt/Getty Images)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Broncos had plenty of chances to win, but just couldn’t get it done as they fell short to the Kansas City Chiefs 30-23 on Sunday.

With the loss, the Broncos dropped to 3-5 on the season and it was the seventh straight time the Chiefs beat the Broncos.

The offense tried to keep things competitive in the first half, but couldn’t click with the defense, which gave up four consecutive touchdown drives before holding the Chiefs.

RELATED: Recap and photo gallery of the Broncos’ 30-23 loss to the Chiefs

Review the game in the live blog below and be sure to like FOX31 on Facebook to join the conversation for the next Broncos game. We’ll have pictures to share with your friends and a halftime Facebook Live to talk about the game.

You can also show off your Broncos pride by uploading your photos to our gallery.

First quarter

The Chiefs won the coin toss and elected to defer giving Case Keenum and the Broncos the ball first.

But the Broncos offense opened with a quick three-and-out leading to a 44-yard punt, which the Chiefs returned for 14-yards to give Kansas City the ball at its own 37.

But the defense was able to hold the Chiefs as Von Miller and Bradley Chubb chased down Mahomes on 3rd and 10. It was the first time this season that the Chiefs didn’t score on their opening drive.

On their next drive, Keenum found Emmanuel Sanders for a massive 49-yard gain to put the Broncos at the Chiefs’ 14-yard line.

The throw helped set up a touchdown by Phillip Lindsay at the goal line to give the Broncos the early lead 7-0.  It’s just the second time the Chiefs have allowed a touchdown in the second quarter this season.

Following a chop block penalty, the Chiefs set up a 1st and 25 from their own 37-yard line. Then on second and 20, Bradley Roby was called for pass interference to give the Chiefs the ball on the 40-yard line.

Mahomes then had three big throws, including a 20-yard gain to Tyreek Hill to set up first and goal.

Mahomes found Travis Kelce in the end zone, but the ball went through his hands. The Broncos held the Chiefs on the next two attempts forcing the Chiefs to go for it on fourth and goal on the one-yard line.

But the Chiefs were called for a false start and brought out the field goal unit to make it 7-3.

Second quarter

The second quarter started with a big throw from Keenum to Sanders, but a holding call against the Chiefs and an offensive pass interference call on Sanders wiped out the gain.

On 3rd and 9, Keenum overthrew Sanders but with another defensive holding call on the Chiefs set up a first down.

But on 3rd and 2, the Broncos lost six yards and brought out Brandon McManus for a 55-yard field goal attempt that went wide right. It was McManus’ first miss of the season.

The miss gave the Chiefs excellent field position and it took Mahomes just four plays to get to the end zone and find Kelce for the touchdown to give the Chiefs the lead 10-7.

With 54 seconds left in the half, the Chiefs got a Mahomes touchdown to extend their lead to two scores. However, the Chiefs missed the extra point to keep it 16-7.

But the Broncos weren’t going to let the Chiefs run away with it.

Keenum found Courtland Sutton for a huge 42-yard gain. Then, with five seconds left in the half, on third down, Keenum hit a wide-open Tim Patrick for a 24-yard touchdown to cut the Chiefs lead.

It was 16-14 at halftime.

Third quarter

The Chiefs got the ball to start the second half and capitalized on it with a touchdown drive to start the half.

Kansas City had a 24-yard completion, converted on 3rd and 8 and converted on 3rd and 5 during the drive to set up a 10-yard touchdown pass from Mahomes to Sammy Watkins to extend the Chiefs lead to 23-14.

Following a bad punt return by Adam Jones, Lindsay was able to break free for a 23-yard gain that was immediately called back thanks to a holding penalty on Max Garcia.

Devontae Booker was able to gain 14-yards on 2nd and 23 to set up a reasonable third down. But Keenum was sacked and the Broncos were forced to punt.

But the 22-yard punt was less than great and gave the Chiefs excellent field position for their next touchdown drive.

The Chiefs would open the game up with their fourth touchdown in-a-row to make 30-14 as Hunt leaped over Will Parks and dragged Justin Simmons into the end-zone.

On the Broncos next drive, the offense got yet another holding call, but Lindsay was able to get those yards back on the next play followed by another nine-yard gain.

After a 16-yard pass to Sanders and a pass to Sutton, the Broncos set up first and goal.

The third quarter ended with Keenum overthrowing Jeff Heuerman  and handing it off to Booker for a five-yard gain.

Fourth quarter

As the Chiefs forced fourth down, the Broncos went for it on 4th and 4 and it paid off when Keenum hit Heuerman to cut the Chiefs lead. The Broncos would go for the two-point conversion and wouldn’t get it.

It was 30-20 to start the fourth.

The momentum seemed to shift as Mahomes overthrew Kelce and was intercepted by Simmons at the Broncos 40-yard line.

Despite a big 26-yard run by Booker, Keenum was strip-sacked on third down and the momentum was gone as the Chiefs recovered to end the drive.

Mahomes bounced back from the previous interception as he quickly got the Chiefs into field goal range. But after a loss of six and an incomplete pass, the Chiefs were forced to punt.

Then with just eight minutes left in the game, after big gains by Lindsay, Keenum was intercepted on a flea flicker as the pass was thrown behind Demaryius Thomas.

On the Chiefs drive, Von Miller finally got a sack on Mahomes. Eventually, a holding call on the Chiefs would make it third and 26, which the Broncos accepted before changing their mind to force a punt on fourth and 6.

The Broncos were able to set up a 36-yard field goal by McManus to make 30-23, but Denver was unable to recover the onside kick and the Broncos would fall to the Chiefs.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.