Game Day Review: Broncos lose heartbreaker to the Chiefs, 27-23, on ‘Monday Night Football’

Case Keenum and Patrick Mahomes (Photos: Matthew Stockman/Getty Images and Joe Sargent/Getty Images)

DENVER — The Broncos had several opportunities to win but just couldn’t get it done as Patrick Mahomes led a comeback in the fourth and took down the Broncos 27-23.

With the heartbreaking loss, Denver falls to 2-2 on the season while the Chiefs remain undefeated.

Review the game in the live blog below and be sure to like FOX31 on Facebook to join the conversation for the next Broncos game. We’ll have pictures to share with your friends and a halftime Facebook Live to talk about the game.

You can also show off your Broncos pride by uploading your photos to our gallery.

Here’s how the game went down.

First quarter

The Chiefs won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half meaning Case Keenum and the offense were up first.

The Broncos moved down the field quickly with an 11-yard pass to Jeff Heuerman, an 18-yard carry from Royce Freeman, and then a 17-yard gain by Phillip Lindsay that brought the Broncos within field goal range.

Brandon McManus would hit a 42-yard field goal to put the Broncos on the board first.

Then it was Mahomes time. The Broncos defense was able to hold Mahomes and the Chiefs offense to a field goal to tie the game at 3.

It was the first time this season that the Chiefs did not score a touchdown on their opening offensive drive.

Second quarter

Following a huge 46-yard run along the sideline by Kareem Hunt and then another gain to get inside the Broncos 20-yard line, the Chiefs scored the first touchdown of the game.

On 3rd and goal, Mahomes scrambled for the 8-yard touchdown run. It was his first running touchdown of his NFL career.

On the next drive, the Broncos responded with some big plays. First was a 13-yard run by Lindsay and then Keenum found Courtland Sutton on a play-action pass deep that landed right in his hands for 42  yards.

That brought the Broncos to the red zone. Freeman would break multiple tackles and drag the Chiefs defense into the endzone for a Broncos touchdown.

The game was tied at 10 each.

In the seconds leading up to halftime, the Broncos were able to kick a field goal to end the half and give the Broncos the 13-10 lead.

Third quarter

The Chiefs got the ball to start the second half and the Broncos defense kept them out of the end zone and made them settle for a field goal and tied the game back up at 13.

After one play, the Chiefs Eric Murray literally toke the reception away from Heuerman at the Broncos 43-yard line. It was Keenum’s sixth interception this season.

From the Broncos 43-yard line, Hunt had two big gains. But in the end the Broncos defense held them and forced them to punt.

The next offensive series for the Broncos saw more big plays from Emmanuel Sanders, Matt LaCosse’s first reception and big blocks from Andy Janovich. Then Keenum handed to Lindsay for a 19-yard gain and the Broncos were in the red zone.

On third and 10, Keenum threw to Sutton in the end zone and his arm was held the entire way for pass interference and set up first and goal at the five-yard line.

Lindsay fought his way in for a Broncos touchdown.

The Broncos defense continued their dominate ways and held the Chiefs offense on the next series.

Fourth quarter

Following a big 32-yard gain to Janovich and a few more hard fought yards, McManus hit a 46-yard field goal to make it 23-13.

The Chiefs weren’t done yet.

Mahomes hit Hill over the middle for 15-yards, Travis Kelce for 18-yards, and on 3rd and 2, Mahomes found Conley for the first down.

Mahomes would find Kelce inside for the touchdown and bring the Chiefs within three.

At this point, the Broncos defense was worn out and gave up several big gains, including a 23-yard gain and a 35-yard completion to make it first and ten at the Broncos 11-yard line.

Mahomes would hand it to Hunt who made the touchdown and put the Chiefs ahead 27-23 with just 1:39 left in the game.

Needing a touchdown, Keenum and company had a whole field to go. On fourth down he found Sanders with 56 seconds left in the game.

On the next throw he’d get into Chiefs territory with a big 36-yard gain to Heuerman to the 28-yard line.

On third down, Keenum over threw Thomas who would have ended up in the end zone.

On fourth down, Keenum hit Sutton but it was incomplete and the game was over.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.