8 sent to hospitals from 2 haz-mat incidents in northeast Denver

DENVER -- The Denver Fire Department responded to a chlorine leak in the northeast part of the city Friday.

According to DFD's Greg Pixley, the call came in at 10:38 a.m. Friday. Crews responded to Colorado Salt Products in the 3900 block of Joliet Street, just south of Interstate 70 between Havana and Peoria Streets.

"There was a yellow haze plume coming from a building behind United Rentals," a witness said.

The building where the incident happened and those surrounding it were evacuated, DFD said.

40th Avenue was closed during the response and investigation. Roads were reopened late Friday afternoon.

Seven people were taken to hospitals according to a DFD spokesperson.

According to a UC Health representative, seven of the injured people were taken to the CU Anschutz Medical Campus.

High Tech Early College, which is located on the other side of I-70 from the scene of the chlorine leak, experienced a natural gas leak. The school was evacuated. One person was transported from that scen. The students and staff were eventually allowed back inside.

Other schools north of the leak had its students and staff stay indoors with windows closed. These schools include: Academy 360, Monarch Montessori, Amesse, Howell, McGlone, Northfield High School and High Tech Elementary.

Around 12:15 p.m., DFD said the leak had been eliminated and evacuation orders had been lifted. DPS said school operations have resumed to normal and that its students and staff are safe.

AlertMe