GREELEY, Colo. -- What happened to a golfer last week in Greeley can only be categorized as a freak accident. It involves a golf club, a driving range and a 5-inch long eye bolt.
Golfer Matt Gutierrez was looking forward to competing in the Greeley Country Club pro-am tournament on Aug. 20.
While taking some practice swings at the driving range, he was shocked like a bolt out of the blue.
While swinging his wedge club, it caught the boundary rope in front of him and yanked the eye bolt out of the ground holding the rope down.
The eye bolt flew at him as if launched from a slingshot and landed in his leg, piercing a bone.
Gutierrez, with the eye bolt still in his leg, was taken by ambulance to North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley.
After two hospital visits and an operation to arrest a painful infection in the bone, Gutierrez decided to keep the eye bolt.
He admits this is a once-in-a-lifetime freak accident, but is concerned about what he calls a potential hazard.
Greeley Country Club has since removed the boundary rope and, just to be safe, will not be reinstalling it.
Last year, Gutierrez made a hole-in-one at a different course, but what happened to him at the country club lends a new meaning to the term hole-in-one.AlertMe