Mold tests could determine whether business will shut down

LAFAYETTE, Colo. -- Workers at a Lafayette repair shop say they started experiencing odd medical symptoms several months ago. They now fear their jobs are making them sick.

The owner of  Lafayette Lawnmower Repair says he can't bring himself to ask his team to come to work until he is certain mold spores from moisture in the walls are no longer a threat to their health.

Jimmy Stithem said his business has been closed for weeks and he can't wait much longer to get the answers he needs.

"Slowly going broke. If we don't open our door in the next few days my business is going under," he said.

Stithem says the building's owner has cleaned up the mold and done testing that show the air is clean.

But since employees are continuing to experience breathing problems and headaches, he needs a second opinion.

Microbial scientist Judy Sawitsky of WeCycle Environmental tested the air. to test the air.

Sawitsky said the first sign of a mold problem, aside from dark spots on the walls or ceiling, is the smell.

"When mold grows it gives off an odor, people describe it as musty," she said.

She adds any mold problem should be taken seriously, especially since the tiny spores can affect the skin and lungs and cause various health problems.

"It can cause a lot of health issues anywhere from sinus problems to the throat being itchy and headaches," she said.

The test results for the air in Stithem's shop should be complete within a couple of days.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.