Man collapses, spends 2 hours stranded on floor after medical security system fails

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- Dennis King struggles with breathing problems and severe arthritis.

When he collapsed on his living room floor, he ended up stranded for more than two hours.

King told the FOX31 Problem Solvers that his security system key fob did not work, so he could not call for medical assistance.

“When I pushed the panic button on it, no response," he said.

Eventually, King’s son arrived.

After King contacted the Problem Solvers, we called home security company NorthStar to find out what was being done to help King.

In an emailed statement, the company said King’s system did not work because of a very rare technical problem.

All customers are instructed to test their systems monthly to make sure signals are properly working.

The company also said as soon as they learned about the problem, it apologized and quickly made arrangements to fully refund King for 16 months of service in addition to allowing him to cancel his contract.

The company said its highest priority is the safety and security of its customers and it is doing everything it can to ensure customers are afforded the peace of mind provided by the service.

King said he is happy with the company’s response.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.