EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. -- Firefighters continue to keep an eye on the 117 Fire in El Paso County.
One of them belonged To Joseph Hebert’s family. The home near Hanover was gone in a flash.
The blaze is being fueled by wind and drought-stricken prairies.
The Hebert family said the fire seemed to have come out of nowhere Tuesday.
They had gone to buy groceries in Colorado Springs on Tuesday morning. When they came back, there was nothing left.
They had no idea a fire would leave them without a place to live.
"Everything’s just ash, there’s nothing left," Jathan Peyton said. "There used to be a wall right there that had a TV on it. But we don’t know where the wall went. I think that’s it right over there.”
There was so little left, the Red Cross couldn’t find their home at first. By late afternoon, disaster relief workers were at what used to be their home.
The family is not even sure where to start. A shelter has been set up for families who have been displaced.
The El Paso County sheriff told families to be cautious. Many hot spots could spark in a flash.AlertMe