LITTLETON, Colo. -- A Littleton mother is coping with the unimaginable after her 16-year-old daughter was killed in a house fire on Easter.
Lexi Rae Hester died while house sitting for her aunt and uncle in Centennial.
Her family believes she fell asleep in a bedroom and a bedspread somehow caught fire. Her mother said it appears she tried to escape the room, but didn't make it.
"What we think is she woke up and opened the door and it created so much smoke from the inhalation she just wasn't able to make it outside," said her mother, Amy Hester.
She said she still can't believe her daughter is gone. She said the teen had a personality that lit up the room.
"She was very outgoing. She was friends with everyone at Heritage High School, all of them. She's so great," Hester said.
"There's a whole dictionary of words that don't even begin to describe how awesome she was. She was my happy and I don't know how to live in this world without her."
Neighbors didn't see any smoke coming from the home, and the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said the fire was small. In fact, the fire had extinguished itself.
The sheriff's office said Hester's death does not appear to be suspicious.
Hester's classmates at Heritage High School participated in a balloon release at Red Rocks Amphitheatre on Wednesday evening in her memory.
Her funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at Brave Church in Englewood.
Friends have set up a fundraising page to help assist the family.AlertMe