Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters
Christopher Watts waives right to preliminary hearing, will remain jailed without bond

Multiple explosive devices found in mobile home suspect says he set on fire

FEDERAL HEIGHTS, Colo. -- Multiple explosive devices were found inside one of the mobile homes that was set on fire in Federal Heights on Wednesday afternoon.

The Adams County bomb squad remained on the scene Thursday, working to make sure the scene in the 2000 block of Moselle Street was safe.

Steven Truetken, 56, was in custody after he told police he set a neighbor's home on fire and then his own.

He also told them there were homemade bombs inside. He faces multiple charges, including criminal attempted second-degree murder, according to the Federal Heights Police Department.

About 12 improvised explosive devices have been removed and two other suspected devices are being worked on, police said Thursday night.

An unknown number of additional devices have been found and are waiting to be removed, police said.

The devices proved to be volatile. Personnel from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were at the scene in a support role, collecting samples for testing in its laboratory.

Police said the scene was stable and neighbors were allowed to return to their homes. However, access to the street was restricted.

It's a slow process to make sure all the devices are removed safely. Even though the scene is stable, multiple people were told to evacuate on Wednesday and Thursday.

“Very nerve-racking,” a neighbor said.

For hours, residents were told to stay back and evacuate their homes.

“A policeman came and said 'Hey, get the hell out of here,'” another neighbor said. “They found another bomb, sizable bomb.”

Neighbors said the suspect kept to himself.

“It’s very quiet, nothing, just 'Hi, hi' and go take the bus and come back. I never see him talking to anybody or nothing,” a neighbor said.

The search at the mobile home was suspended Thursday night and was set to resume at 9 a.m. Friday when neighbors will have to evacuate for safety purposes.

"Kinda a hassle, a drag," Mike Canancari said. "This guy has been in our hair for a few years."