LARAMIE, Wyo. — The man accused of shooting and killing a Douglas County deputy had purchased 11 guns from a Laramie, Wyoming, gun store, according to a police report.
Matthew Riehl ambushed deputies on New Year’s Eve.
David Smith, the owner of Dave’s Guns, called the Laramie Police Department on Sunday in reference to the shooting earlier that day.
Smith told he police that he sold Riehl 11 guns from 2010 to 2013.
The police report shows the gun store had records of the sales. However Smith said he was going to continue reviewing records to see if there might have been more sales.
- April 2, 2010: Springfield XD(M) pistol (semi-automatic handgun)
- May 3, 2010: Ruger MK III pistol (semi-automatic handgun)
- July 6, 2010: Smith & Wesson 629 revolver (not semi-automatic)
- July 22, 2010: Ruger SR9c pistol
- Nov. 3, 2010: “Plum Crazy” AR-15 receiver (semi-automatic that can hold 100 rounds)
- Nov. 19, 2010: FAL Type III receiver (semi-automatic)
- Feb. 1, 2011: Remington 700 SPS rifle
- Nov. 6, 2011: Smith & Wesson Model 66 revolver
- Aug. 5, 2011: Ruger Vaquero revolver (not an automatic)
- Aug. 10, 2012: Glock 30 SF pistol (semi-automatic handgun)
- March 3, 2013: Ithaca 37 shotgun (not an automatic)
Smith said Riehl passed all background checks at the time. All of the guns from the police report were purchased before the gunman was hospitalized for a psychotic episode in 2014.AlertMe