Judge denies defense’s DNA request in deaths of Shanann Watts, daughters
Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters

Army veteran saves neighbors from apartment fire

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. -- Labor Day is eventful for many people. It is now a day Army veteran Manuel Arredondo will never forget.

On Sept. 4, a fire broke out at a neighboring building in Arredondo’s Castle Rock apartment complex.

By neighbors' accounts, he, along with law enforcement, helped safely evacuate everybody from the building.

But the veteran still had to go to the hospital.

Arredondo is OK, but he eventually received a hospital bill, he said, for $10,000.

The father of eight is not sure how he will pay the bill, but is hoping the Department of Veterans Affairs can help.

SkyRidge Medical Center confirmed Arredondo was treated there. A spokesperson said on Wednesday the $10,000 bill was before insurance overage and the actual amount of the bill for him is "way less."

A GoFundMe page is available to help Arredondo with his medical expenses.

RELATED: FOX31 Problem Solvers Serving Those Who Serve