Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters
Affidavit: Christopher Watts claims Shanann Watts strangled daughter, he admits to killing Shanann ‘in a rage’

DIA trains disrupted twice on one of busiest travel days of year

DENVER -- Trains between the concourses at Denver International Airport were disrupted twice on Wednesday morning on one of the busiest travel days of the year.

A technical issue with the trains that serve the concourses and terminal caused slower travel times and led to extremely long lines at the airport just before 8 a.m.

RELATED: Security wait times

Hundreds of people waited to get through security and onto the trains, which were run manually by engineers as the situation was being worked on, airport officials said.

The situation was resolved by 8:30 a.m. and normal operations were resuming, but there were still long delays, airport officials said.

Just before 10:30 a.m., another technical issue prompted delays on the concourse trains.

Security screening was moved to just the A Bridge, and the north and south lines were closed while the issue was being worked on. The checkpoints reopened at 10:45 a.m. as the issue was getting resolved.

Meanwhile, a pedestrian was brushed by an RTD A Line train about 7:30 a.m., delaying service between the airport and Union Station for more than an hour.

An RTD spokesman said the man tried to beat the train at the 40th and Airport Station, running in front of it and getting clipped.

The man was not seriously injured, but was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Trains were stopped between the Peoria and 61st/Pena stations. Shuttle buses were in place to take passengers between the stations, causing delays getting to the airport.

Service resumed at 8:45 a.m., RTD said.

More than 1 million passengers will pass through the airport between Wednesday and Monday for the Thanksgiving holiday.

That means passengers should be prepared for longer lines and tighter scrutiny at security.

Airport officials are expecting 178,000 passengers on Wednesday, enough to fill Sports Authority Field at Mile High more than twice.

The Pikes Peak and east economy lots were full by 6:30 a.m.

Officials advise passengers to arrive two hours before their flight. Anything larger than a cellphone must go through an X-ray bin, including any carry-on food.

Gifts should remain unwrapped.