Bear spray causes 18 people to evacuate Boulder retirement home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOULDER, Colo. -- A hazardous materials team, firefighters and police responded to Mesa Vista Retirement Home in Boulder late Wednesday afternoon after a receptionist opened a bottle of unknown liquid and became sick.

Eighteen people on the first floor of the facility at 2121 Mesa Drive were evacuated, but none of them went to a hospital.

Firefighters sealed off the first floor and turned off the HVAC system to stop the fumes from spreading in the building.

The hazmat team later determined bear spray was discharged in the building. The opened bottle of liquid was not hazardous.