Reward offered for information after 82-year-old man’s body found in elevator shaft

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- Police have put up crime alert flyers offering a reward for information after a decomposing body was found in a nonworking elevator at a Denver apartment complex.

The Denver Police Department said 82-year old Issak Komisarchik’s body was found Monday morning.

He reportedly suffered from dementia and was reported missing on July 5. He left home in his pajamas and never returned.

He lived just one apartment complex away from where his body was found at the Woodstream Village apartments at 10050 E. Harvard Ave.

Although police say it's just an active death investigation, residents say there’s something suspicious surrounding the incident.

“He’s been missing for about a month. … He was never found, no traces,” said Cody Downing, who was working in the apartment where Komisarchik lived and often saw him walking around the complex.

Residents say the elevator the body was found in led to the parking garage and had been shut down for construction for several months.

Many said they started reporting a horrible smell coming from the area to building managers weeks ago, but nothing was ever checked out.

“For about three to four weeks prior to it, you could smell this horrid stench in the whole building,” resident Patrick Paul said.

Paul said there’s suspicious circumstances around how Komisarchik’s body was found.

“We were just told he was wrapped up in the elevator and they are telling us here it was a nonsuspicious death,” Paul said.

Paul also questions how the 82-year old would have gotten into the locked area that is supposed to only be accessible to those who lived or worked in the building and have a key.

"For a month or two months, they had it closed down so no one could park on the bottom or the top cause they were repaving, reconstructing it and the elevator is right in that building so no one was using the elevator,” he said.

Building managers sent out notes this week calling the death nonsuspicious. Police, despite the crime alert flyers, say it's too early to tell if foul play might be involved.

“I don’t know why they are saying it's nonsuspicious but it's suspicious,” Paul said.

He’s not the only one who thinks there might be more to the story.

"Denver police did put out a crime alert about four days ago," said Connor Halverson who added he last saw Komisarchik the day he went missing. "This Monday, came into work, saw them strapped up on all the doors, crime alert, $2,000 reward for anybody who had any information.

“I don’t believe that somebody could just walk right in."

Police said the crime alert flyers are just covering all bases in the investigation. An autopsy is underway but could take weeks to complete to determine the cause and manner of the death.