Live video: SkyFOX over rush hour traffic

Golf show host David Feherty says son died from overdose on 29th birthday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS — Former Northern Ireland golf star and talk show host David Feherty announced Tuesday that his oldest son had died from an overdose.

Feherty, who hosts a show on Golf Channel, said his son died on his 29th birthday. He did not provide any other details.

Feherty has spoken publicly about his own struggles with drug abuse and addiction.

“A typical day was 30-40 Vicodin and 2 1/2 bottles of whiskey … real whiskey,” Feherty said in a 2015 interview with the Belfast Telegraph.

“There was cocaine, there was dope. When I think about it now I’m like, why am I alive?”

Feherty told the Telegraph that he had not touched alcohol since 2005 but still struggled with depression, and was taking a combination of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, stimulants, mood stabilizers and sleep aids.

His announcement was met with condolences from friends, fans and colleagues.