Colored lenses, fun shapes, and funky frames. This summer is all about fashion sunglasses, but how well do these trendy glasses protect your eyes? Do cheap sunglasses provide the same protection as luxury ones? Given that UV levels in summer are three times greater than in winter, it is important to protect your eyes, but you don’t have to sacrifice style. Pricier sunglasses and lenses with darker tints don’t always mean they’re UV protected. Dr. Mary Anne Murphy from Front Range Eye Associates shows us how they can be stylish while still protecting their eyes.
You want sunglasses that are fashionable, but they should also provide maximum UV protection for your eyes and fit your lifestyle. Here are some tips for finding the right ones for you.
Go for big frames: Larger frames and wrap-around styles provide extra UV protection by blocking rays that come in from the side.
Think about lens color: You may want to go with gray or green lenses because they're neutral and don't change color. If you want to see more contrast, choose brown.
Consider your lifestyle: If you're active in sports, your optometrist can help you select sunglasses and lenses that can protect your eyes and help optimize your performance.
Here is a list of sunglasses Dr. Murphy talked about:
- Chloe Nola (CE127S) Vintage oversized full metal aviator sunglasses.
- Salvatore Ferragamo (Male SF844S & Female SF858S) Square-frame sunglasses available for purchase at ferragamo.com
- Lacoste (L816S & L850S) Both are available for purchase at lacoste.com
- DVF Joanna (DVF617S) Offers modern style in a sleek rectangle silhouette. Available for purchase at dvf.com
- Nautica (N6225S) A square shape with rounded edges, metal temples and a key-hole nose bridge. Available for purchase at nautica.com
- Nike Terminus (for men) Lightweight and durable, these sunglasses stay put and maintain clarity during high-action training or competition.
- Nike Flex Motion (for women) Rounded angles and mixed materials reveal an unexpected profile, both elegant and sporty. Both are Nike training, both are available for purchase at nikevision.com
- Dragon - DR Count H20 Rounded rectangular shape that merges clean, classic lines with casual, go-anywhere styling. Available for purchase at dragonalliance.com
- Columbia - PFG style Airgill Lite From Columbia’s Performance Fishing Gear line, these polarized lenses offer a full spectrum of tints and mirrors for zero glare distractions and crystal clear vision to see easily through the water. Available for purchase at eyeconic.com
- Cole Haan (Styles: CH6011, CH6035, CH7027 and CH7019) All are available for purchase on eyeconic.com
- Bebe (Styles: BB7185, BB7184, BB7180 and BB7182) All are available for purchase on eyeconic.com