Overheated lawnmower sparks fire near Centennial homes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — It only took a small spark to ignite a fire thanks to an overheated lawnmower, South Metro Fire Rescue said Friday.

Firefighters were called to the scene and quickly got the fire under control.

The accidental fire should serve as a good reminder that dry conditions are creating an environment perfect for small accidents to quickly turn into difficult to control wildfires.

The fire department has said many Colorado residents mistakenly think fire danger dips in the winter.

Colorado has seen multiple fires burn since the beginning of 2017 because of a lack of moisture, and above-average temperatures and low relative humidity.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.