Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters
Affidavit: Christopher Watts claims Shanann Watts strangled daughter, he admits to killing Shanann ‘in a rage’

Floor collapses, house catches fire during party near Regis University

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ADAMS COUNTY,  Colo. -- Two apartments caught fire after a floor collapsed during a party near Regis University on Saturday night, the Adams County Fire Department said.

It happened just before midnight at 5233 Grove St., just north of campus. Officials said a large number of people were inside the apartment when the floor collapsed.

"During the course of the party, there was a floor collapse. That's what we were originally called for, a floor collapse with an odor of natural gas," Adams County Fire Department Battalion Chief Mark Schuman said. "When our crews arrived a short time later, there were already flames showing. ... It was engulfed in flames rather quickly."

Everyone was able to get out of the home safely.

"For the number of persons we heard were inside that structure, it's incredible for them to all get out in time," Shuman said.

Three of eight units in the building were condemned. Twelve people displaced by fire and water damage, Shuman said.

The roof and walls collapsed in the unit where the fire started, Shuman said. The unit to to the west suffered fire damage and the unit to east had water damage.

Building inspectors were working to determine whether the house is safe to enter.

Investigators initially said they believed a gas line broke after the floor collapsed, starting the fire.

Shuman later said crews were still trying to determine whether the floor collapse caused the fire or if it was the other way around. Or if there was previous damage to the floor.

Schuman said he didn't know the age of the building, but said it it was "modern construction."

 

AlertMe