Cigarette butt might have sparked Fort Collins wildfire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — A cigarette butt thrown from a vehicle probably sparked a grass fire that burned about 150 acres Friday, the Poudre Fire Authority said.

The Carpenter Road Fire generated smoke that was visible for miles. It burned in the area of Highway 392 in southeast Fort Collins.

The fire was declared 100 percent contained Friday night. A couple of units remained on scene overnight and finished mopping up about 6:30 a.m. Saturday.

A spokesman for the Poudre Fire Authority said the fire never threatened any structures, though some fences and farm equipment were damaged.

Residents might see light smoke from the area Saturday, but that is to be expected. A fire crew was scheduled to patrol the area periodically to make sure there were no flare-ups.

Data pix.
AlertMe
Google Map for coordinates 40.480031 by -105.058184.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.