Greyhound passengers say bus company left them stranded and cold in Steamboat Springs

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. — Passengers said Saturday they are infuriated that Greyhound left them stranded and cold in Steamboat Springs with no answers or information.

Their bus broke down on Thursday. According to a company’s spokesman, the bus experienced road failure. That night, Greyhound put passengers up in hotels around town.

However, passengers said hotel managers couldn’t get a hold of anyone from Greyhound the next day and they didn’t know what to do, so the hotels took them to the transit station.

“The driver never showed up to get us. So pretty much we were an eye sore to the hotel so they loaded us up in a shuttle and brought us to an abandoned bus station,” Aaron Carr said.

“We waited around and waited around and waited around,” Walter Reed Jacobs said. “We didn’t know what was going on. Nobody said anything, nobody called us.”

Passengers said they waited all day Friday for a bus to come or for any word from the company.

Carr said it was freezing and he came down with the flu. He said other customers needed medical care because they didn’t have access to their medications, locked away in the bottom of the broken bus.

“It was not a place that anyone should be so (police) had to call in paramedics, they had to call two ambulances. They had to call firefighters,” Carr said.

“It was just a big mess. It seemed like they left us there for dead, you know what I mean?” Jacobs said.

Eventually, the Steamboat Springs Police Department said it turned into a makeshift emergency because there was not room in any of the hotels for the stranded passengers because of a music festival in town.

Police contacted the Red Cross, which set up a shelter for customers. A Steamboat Springs police officer agreed with customers that Greyhound left passengers in the dark.

“If it wasn’t for the people of Colorado, we would have been lost,” Jacobs said. “We would have been out in the cold. We wouldn’t have had anything to eat. Greyhound didn’t lift a finger to do any of those things I am telling you about. Not one.”

On Saturday afternoon, a bus picked up the passengers. It was expected to arrive in Denver late Saturday night. A spokesman for the company said every passenger would receive a refund and get new tickets to complete their journey.

“Due to the inclement weather, the bus experienced a road failure on the night of Jan. 5,” Greyhound said in a statement. “We provided hotel accommodations for the customers that night.

“However, because there were no rooms available at the hotel the following night, customers were unable to stay another night. With the help of the City, which provided transportation for customers, they were transported to another location, where the Red Cross assisted by providing cots, blankets, etc.

“Greyhound was able to secure accommodations at another hotel, which is where customers stayed last night. We provided food and kept them warm while we worked to get them back on the road.

“Customers were picked up by a relief bus around 3:30 p.m. to continue their trip, and they retrieved their luggage from the original bus. We apologize to customers for their experience, and they will all receive full refunds.”