Denver police officer accused of stealing cash from suspect

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — A Denver police officer has been arrested for investigation of theft, misconduct and tampering with evidence, the Denver Police Department said Friday.

Julian Archuleta, 48,  was arrested Friday by members of the department’s Internal Affairs Bureau and has been booked into the Denver City Jail.

Archuleta is accused of stealing money while he was searching through a suspect’s clothing on Oct. 7.

Archuleta was responding to a call of shots fired in the direction of police officers while they were at the 7-Eleven at 4708 N. Washington St.

The suspects took off, and the driver rolled the car at West 50th Avenue and North Washington Street. The driver got out and ran, but the passenger, Bertrand Uhde, was unconscious.

Archuleta assisted with taking photographs of the scene, the vehicle and the passenger.

His body camera was activated for about 25 minutes and recorded him searching the passenger’s clothing after it was removed by paramedics at the scene.

According to the arrest affidavit, Archuleta discovered an unknown amount of cash. One stack of bills had a $100 bill on top.

“Officer Archuleta is observed separating the $100 bill along with some other bills folded inside the $100 bill, from a stack with a $1 bill on top,” the affidavit said.

“The [body camera] then moves to view the front of the passenger seat while Officer Archuleta transfers the large bills to his other hand. When the [body camera] pans back to the seat, the stack with the $1 bill is observed but no large bills are present.”

On Oct. 10, Archuleta was called into Internal Affairs Bureau. According to the affidavit, after he was served with the complaint, Archuleta called Det. Nick Rogers and said he was going to check his bag to make sure the money “hadn’t slipped into a crevice.”

He later told Rogers he found 12 $100 bills and they must have “fallen in his bag.”

Rogers advised Archuleta to turn over the money to Internal Affairs, which he did. Archuleta declined to make a statement.

Archuleta has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

A formal filing of charges by the Denver District Attorney’s Office is expected early next week.

According to the statement, Archuleta joined the Denver Police Department in 2004 and was assigned to the patrol division in District 1.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.